#ShopLocal this season! Starting to plan your holiday shopping list? You’re in luck! Our Move to Tacoma gift guides help you figure out exactly where to shop in Tacoma all while supporting local businesses and economies!
Showcasing shops that are all recommended by Tacomans themselves, this crowdsourced list features a huge variety of businesses. No matter who you’re shopping for or what their interests are, there’s bound to be *somewhere* on this list that you can go and pick out a gift that’s going to please.
We hope you’ll shop local this holiday season, but we also hope you’ll bookmark this list and keep it on hand for birthdays, Valentine’s Day, Teacher Appreciation Week, and any other time of the year you find yourself scrambling for a unique, thoughtful, and local present!
Whether you’re looking for something unique, something fun, or something local, Tacoma is brimming with unique shops and businesses. Here are several local businesses recommended by Tacomans:
Hilltop Artists Winter Glass Sale
- Located at: Jason Lee Middle School, 602 N Sprague Ave., Tacoma, WA 98403
- Hours: 10:00a-1:00p
On December 10, 2016, Hilltop Artists is hosting a Winter Glass Sale, where you can browse and purchase an array of beautiful and unique gifts for the holiday season. All proceeds from this sale go towards local tuition-free youth programs, so you can finish off your list and support the community all in one convenient location!
Cover photo courtesy of the Hilltop Artists in Residence Facebook page
The Nearsighted Narwhal
- Located at: 2610 6th Ave, Ste B Tacoma, WA 98406
- Hours: 12:00p-6:00p Thursday-Sunday; closed Monday-Wednesday
If you’re looking to serve the community and impress your friends by purchasing local one-of-a-kind gifts, the Nearsighted Narwhal has you covered. With collections of indie lit, handmade books, zines, CDs, and art, plus plans to host workshops, open mics, and special artistic events, this shop is at the forefront of showcasing the best creative minds in the Tacoma area.
Johnson Candy Company
- Located at: 924 Martin Luther King Jr Way, Tacoma, WA 98405
- Hours: 9:30a-5:30p Monday-Friday; 10:00a-4:00p Saturday; closed Sunday
If you know someone with a serious sweet tooth, pick them up a gift from Johnson Candy Company! From delicious truffles to melt-in-your-mouth chocolate, this iconic candy maker belongs on your gift-giving list (and don’t forget to pick yourself up a little somethin’, too!)
- Located at: 7024 27th Street W. Suite A University Place, WA 98466
Hours: 10am-5pm Monday-Saturday; closed Sundays
Beginning as an online store that has now moved to full brick-and-mortar, Paper Luxe is the brainchild of a mother-daughter team obsessed with home decor, office accessories, and anything paper. Stop in and check out their wide selection of holiday cards, planners, Tacoma merchandise, and other gifts perfect for the chic businesswoman in your life.
- Located at: 5602 6th Ave., Tacoma, WA 98406
- Hours: Open 24 hours
Known for their fresh local produce, Tacoma Boys not only sells a huge variety of groceries, but they also have gift baskets, beer and wine from around the world, specialty chocolates, and more items that would make a great gift. If you want a gift that’s as tasty as it is thoughtful, put Tacoma Boys on your holiday shopping list.
- Located at: 3726 S G Street, Tacoma, WA 98418
- Hours: 8:30a-5:30p Monday-Saturday; closed Sunday
For the DIY-er or handy person on your list, visit Lincoln Hardware. Their array of gardening and plumbing tools, paint supplies, and other items combined with 85 years of experience ensure that you can give your loved one high-quality tools for any project they may have.
Pepper Pot Polish
If you know someone who is obsessed with nail polish, consider buying them a gift from Pepper Pot Polish. This local online Etsy shop started two years ago and sells 30-35 different shades of nail polish, including an assortment of glitters. Help your loved one express themselves and save yourself a trip to the store!
A Rhapsody in Bloom Florist & Cafe
- Located at: 3709 6th Avenue Tacoma, WA 98406
- Hours: 8:30a-5:30p Monday-Friday; 7:00p-9:00p Wednesday (Music); 10:00a-4:00p Saturday; closed Sunday
Housed in a Victorian home, A Rhapsody in Bloom Florist & Cafe has a charming ambiance that one would expect from a small-town bed and breakfast. As you meander through the rooms you will find fashion accessories, locally made jewelry, clothing, stationery, candles, and many other gift items perfect for any friend or family member.
- Located at: Real Art Tacoma, 5412 South Tacoma Way, Tacoma, WA 98409
- Hours: 11:00a-5:00p Monday-Friday; closed Saturday-Sunday
Located inside of Real Art Tacoma, Thunderdome is a streetwear boutique that sells local brands and consignment sneakers. It’s the perfect stop for those who are on the lookout for gifts that are casual and support the community!
- Located at: 4779 Pt. Fosdick Dr NW, Suite 100, Gig Harbor, WA 98335
- Hours: 10:00a-8:00p Monday-Saturday; 11:00a-6:00p Sunday
For chic and eclectic clothing and accessories, look no further than Bloom Boutique. They carry a wide selection of brands and styles, so you are sure to find the right statement piece for the fashionista in your life.
- Located at: Multiple locations throughout Tacoma
- Hours: Vary by location
Found in various stores throughout Tacoma, Mountain Muesli is a family-owned business that is dedicated to providing its customers with products that are sourced locally and ethically and proportioned just right to give you the balanced fuel you need. Be ready to take on a busy day of holiday shopping with a bowl of cereal from Mountain Muesli!
- Located at: 110 East 26th St, Tacoma, WA 98421 (Brown & Haley Factory Store)
- Hours: 9:30a-5:30p Monday-Saturday; 11:00a-4:00p Sunday
Not many people know that the Almond Roca factory is located right here in Tacoma! Balancing tradition and innovation, Brown & Haley create delicious products that are sure to delight any friend or family member this season. Stop by the factory store for stocking stuffers!
- Located at: 2714 6th Ave., Tacoma, WA 98405
- Hours: 10:00a-6:00p Monday-Thursday; 10:00a-8:00p Friday-Saturday; 11:00a-6:00p Sunday
Hi-Voltage Records is Tacoma’s premier independent record store. With a selection of new and used records, CDs, DVDs, cassettes, and more, there’s plenty to choose from!
LeMay Car Museum Gift Shop
- Located at: 2702 East D. Street, Tacoma, WA 98421
- Hours: 10:00a-5:00p seven days a week
If you know a car aficionado, you will definitely want to stop by the gift shop at the LeMay Car Museum for a gift! With model cars, memorabilia, DVDs, and more, this landmark is a must-see for any Tacoma native.
Ted Brown Music
- Located at: 6228 Tacoma Mall Blvd., Tacoma, WA 98409
- Hours: 10:00a-8:00p Monday-Friday; 10:00a-6:00p Saturday; closed Sunday
Give the gift of music this holiday season with something special from Ted Brown Music! With a wide selection of today’s instruments from guitars and amps to violins and other orchestral tools (and private music lessons!), you can help someone pursue or discover a passion that will last a lifetime!
Ice Cream Social
- Located at: 2914 6th Ave., Tacoma, WA 98406 (Scoop Shop)
- Hours: 1:00p-10:00p Monday-Thursday; 1:00p-11:00p Friday; 11:00a-11:00p Saturday; 11:00a-10:00p Sunday
For a gift that tastes good and is made from all-natural, quality ingredients, pick your loved ones up a gift card for Ice Cream Social. They can have a ball combining their fun and unique flavors for a treat that hits the spot and is just right for them!
The Red Hot
- Located at: 2914 6th Ave., Tacoma, WA 98406
- Hours: 11:00a-11:00p Monday-Thursday; 11:00a-12:00a Friday; 9:00a-12:00a Saturday; 9:00a-11:00p Sunday
If you know someone who’s a lover of cold craft beer and delicious hot dogs, you will definitely want to pick them up a gift certificate for the Red Hot. With unique combinations and specials everyday, let them go wild and enjoy all that the Red Hot has to offer, your treat!
- Located at: 2811 Bridgeport Way W., University Place, WA 98466
- Hours: 11:00a-6:00p Monday-Wednesday & Friday-Saturday; 11:00a-7:00p Thursday; closed Sunday
If you’re in need of a gift that can’t be found in any department store, Grassi’s Boutique may be the place for you. With a selection of unique, high-quality women’s clothing, you will find the perfect gift for all of the women in your life, young and old alike.
Watson’s Greenhouse and Nursery
- Located at: 6211 Pioneer Way, East Puyallup, WA 98371
- Hours: 9:00a-5:00p Monday-Saturday; 10:00a-5:00p Sunday
With a hand-picked selection of home goods, decor, gorgeous plants, and more, Watson’s Greenhouse and Nursery is the ideal place to find the perfect gift. If you are still unsure of what to buy, pick up a gift card, so your loved one can get exactly what he or she wants to enhance his or her garden, home, and life.
Lucky Dog Outfitters
- Located at: 3411 6th Ave, Ste. B., Tacoma, WA 98406
- Hours: 9:00a-8:00p Monday-Friday; 9:00a-7:00p Saturday; 9:00a-6:00p Sunday
During the holidays, we cannot forget about our four-legged friends. That is why Lucky Dog Outfitters features an array of treats, toys, clothes, and other gifts that make our pets feel as special as our human family.
- Located at: 6409 6th Ave., Suite 10, Tacoma, WA 98406
- Hours: 10:00a-7:00p Monday-Thursday; 10:00a-6:00p Friday-Saturday; closed Sunday
If you know someone with kids or someone who’s expecting, then stop into Kidz Kaboodle for the perfect gift. With name brand clothes for infants and older children, maternity wear, toys, and furniture, you can give them everything they need at unbeatable low prices.