This post is an oldie but a goodie. It was my very first video that I ever filmed (pre-braces and in the full flower of my youth!).
Summary of the mistakes first time buyers (and sometimes even second time buyers!) make when they’re buying houses in Tacoma:
1. They fall in love with a house before their real estate agent and pre-approval complete.
2. They call the seller’s agent for the house they like or click the “ask about this house” button on Zillow or Redfin.
3. They forget to ask their lender what their monthly payment is (including taxes and insurance!) on different price points.
4. They don’t get a home inspection. Make sure to get an inspection from an inspector who is not scared to give you bad news.
5. They don’t inspect the sewer line, or they get a sewer “inspector” who also repairs sewer lines. You want an inspector that doesn’t do any repairs and will give you an unbiased assessment.
The best way to avoid making these and a bunch of other common first time buyer mistakes is to get a real estate agent that you really click with. If you have a good relationship your real estate agent and that agent specializes in buyers in the neighborhood you’re looking in they are going to make sure that you don’t make any rookie mistakes.